Is Fort Collins Preschool a good fit for my family?
FCPS is a big commitment for a family. What you see going on in our classrooms looks fun, engaging and educational. Equally as important is what goes on outside of the class time: a family’s investment and experience, and the partnership with the staff and the school community
An important part of our school is the connection between school and families. We will give you and your child so much while you are here, but we expect your commitment in return. This is what has made our school great over the last 60+ years! We wish for you to look around our school, ask questions and investigate other schools to ensure we are a good fit for you.
When evaluating the appropriateness of this school for your family please ask yourself the following:
- Do I think children should be encouraged to explore in a classroom that is intentionally designed to enhance their growth and development?
- I am ok with my child getting messy?
- Do I believe that self-directed play for children is a basic mode of learning, and children have a right to play,
- Do I think social and emotional competence are vital for my child and do I prefer a program that emphasizes this?
- Do I believe that young children are building the foundations for literacy, math and other importance learning objectives through play and by being exposed to these things in a variety of developmentally appropriate ways?
- Do I understand the more children learn from their own play the better prepared they are to learn from academic instruction in the future?
- Would I like to celebrate this significant time of early childhood by embracing the play based philosophy?
Parent and Family Involvement
- Am I interested in a drop off kind of program or would I prefer to be involved- letting my child and teachers guide me along the way?
- Am I looking forward to be involved as a regularly scheduled teach parent? Do I believe the opportunity to do so is very special for both me and my child?
- Do I want to meet other parents and be part of an active and engaged community? Do I hope this will be beneficial to my family; friends for my child and support for me?
- Do I understand serving on a committee is an integral part of what makes this school work? Am I happy to invest my own time and expertise to help sustain and improve the school?
- Do I think it is important for my child to see me actively participating at her school in many different ways? (cleaning the classroom, sanitizing toys, planning fund raising events)
- Can I commit to working at least two all school work days to do my part in keeping the school healthy, clean and safe?
- Can I commit to helping out in the fundraising efforts? Do I value the fact that the school is able to provide affordable tuition and wonderful programing due to these efforts?
- Am I able to commit to attending both parent meetings? There is one in the fall and one in the spring.
- Am I comfortable having the teacher conduct a “home child visit,” prior to the start of school?
A membership application, registration fee of $75 and a participation deposit must be received by the preschool to secure a position in the school. The registration fee and deposit are NON-REFUNDABLE!